Monday, February 04, 2008

Faries and other miscellaneous items


I was thinking the other day that if I ever had a daughter, I would want to do a fairy theme in her room. Fairy tales are the epitomy of childhood, are they not?
On a different note, we went on a couples retreat this weekend and it was great. The speaker had some amazing practical insights into marriage. Here are some random snippets from my notes:
From Matthew 5, the beatitudes:
  • Recognize your own spiritual poverty ("Blessed are the poor in spirit...")
  • Be merciful to your spouse ("Blessed are the merciful...")
  • Matthew 5: 16 (look it up); the application to marriage is to shine God's glory to your spouse!
  • As 1 Cor. 13 says, "love keeps no record of wrongs" and if we are to be a loving spouse, we won't either
  • Remember that God is soverign- he will deal with your spouse's 'issues'
  • Our role as wives is to be a helper (which automatically assumes that we are on the 'same team')
There are a lot more things I learned, but that is just a recap.
I also reminded myself how cool my husband is- and he really is! I am super-duper thankful for him!
On a completely different note, me and a friend of mine got the very neat opportunity yesterday to go into our local jail and watch the super bowl with the fine incarcerated ladies who are residing there. We were able to bring in some good old Wisconsin super bowl goodies: venison sausage, muenster and co-jack cheeses, an assortment of crackers, cherry coke and oatmeal raisin and peanut butter cookies (thank you Blind Munchies Coffeehouse for the cookies! They were grrrrrreat!)
All in all, I think it was a fun and fruitful endeavor. It is always a good idea for those "Bible study women" to just be real people for awhile and hang out and root for a football team and eat cookies. I saw some sides of the women that I hadn't seen before, and I got a tour of one of their cells, which was kind of her.
Please continue to pray for our efforts in jail ministry! Thanks!

BTW- for those of you hoping we are having more kids, don't take my fairy bedroom comment too seriously, it was just a random daydream that I had!

10 comments:

A said...

So what I hear you saying is: if you really want the fairy theme, you'd better get busy decorating the boy's room? Yep, I'd bet that would fly! :)

We're cancelled tonight, so see you . . . . SUNDAY!!! Wow! That many days? Withdrawal may set in . . .

A

whimsicalnbrainpan said...

Sounds like it was a great retreat.

I'm glad you got to brighten those ladies Superbowl.

Keshi said...

I love fairies! Im a grown woman and I still am crazy abt em :)

Keshi.

Muhd Imran said...

You definitely had a fruitful retreat. It is wonderful that you care to help those in need of guidance. A wonderful soul.

My Mom and Dad are like twins now. She enjoys watching and actually knows all about wrestling and soccer, Dad's favourite sports.

Thanks for sharing. Have a great week ahead.

Tanie said...

me, I love fairies, all sorts. My thoughts are with you and the 'girls'.

DirkStar said...

You just might like my hillary post.

Sounds like a great retreat!

I love those kind of events...

I wish more of us spent half as much time working on our relationships as we do our jobs.

Pink Icing said...

Come back......

Anonymous said...

World Of Warcraft gold for cheap
wow power leveling,
wow gold,
wow gold,
wow power leveling,
wow power leveling,
world of warcraft power leveling,
world of warcraft power leveling
wow power leveling,
cheap wow gold,
cheap wow gold,
buy wow gold,
wow gold,
Cheap WoW Gold,
wow gold,
Cheap WoW Gold,
world of warcraft gold,
wow gold,
world of warcraft gold,
wow gold,
wow gold,
wow gold,
wow gold,
wow gold,
wow gold,
wow gold
buy cheap World Of Warcraft gold o3o6b7eg

Muhd Imran said...

Just stopping by again to say Hi!

Hope all is well with you and family there. Take care.

beckyjo said...

Maybe you could do your Kitchen in mini Fairy's or the Bathroom...I bet the boys wouldn't mind!

hehehe